Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day One -Transplanting Cells

Getting ready for the first set of cells, they break it up into two sessions. They first hooked me up to monitor blood pressure and heart functions during the procedure.  Along comes the man from the blood bank I saw last week pushing a little cart with my 7 bags of cells,  frozen in a bucket of liquid nitrogen and a warming machine.  He has to thaw out the bags and insert them into a syringe that must be injected within 10 minutes or the cells are no longer good.  They access my port and begin the injection and within seconds my first reaction.  A common reaction from others was that of the taste of creamed corn or garlic, some others also said they has the taste of crab dip or seafood. Also, this smell can be noticed outside of the room by others and will come off of me for the next few days. They have you suck on mints or hard candy to avoid this while they inject the cells. I did not get any of those tastes just a burning, itchy sensation in my throat that was a bit overwhelming and ceased once the injection was completed.  After the second push they gave me benadryl as this scratchy sensation was getting a bit worse and it seemed to be affecting my ability to breathe normal.  The benadryl seemed to help, but with each syringe of cells the sensation came back about  halfway thru the push, but left just as soon as the  injection was finished.  It was all over within about an hour, feeling ok now but having a real hard time concentrating on this typing so I will end for now.  I have 9 more bags to go which will be around 2:30 and then hopefully
nap time as I didn't get much sleep last night.  I will let you know if I am veggie or
seafood as soon as someone comes back in the room, they all left so not sure what I am emitting right now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment