Monday, September 27, 2010

Chemo Day

Got to Hershey Medical Center around 11am today and right to what they call the infusion room for lab work. Just a couple of tubes of blood and met with the doctor for a quick consult to make sure I was feeling ok and healthy today. Got checked into the room and I must say , this is the cleanest hospital I have been in, it actually smells good. They started, off by cleaning the port ends and changing the dressing, an EKG, and 25mgs of dexamethasone. All the while I amstill in the clothes I wore in, no one size fits all hospital gown needed. Another chat with the floor doctor and he has placed the order for the chemo drug. They have to administer it within 30 minutes of mixing it and he is here with it right now. They are giving me 340 ml of melphalan as I type over a period of 15 minutes. They make you chew on ice as they administer the drug to restrict the blood flow to your mouth to try and prevent the mouth sores that often happen. So need to go so I can eat my ice, I will be back in a few hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment