Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pre Testing Autologous Stem Cell Transplant

I had to undergo some testing to determine if I was eligible for the transplant.  An Echocardiogram to check the heart, a pulmonary test for the lungs and a Pet Scan and lots of blood work.  All were ok and we are moving forward.  I am an awaiting a schedule from the Dr. as to the start of the process which should begin around the week of the 20th of September 2010.  First I will receive a drug called granulocyte colony-stimulating fact (G-CSF) FOR 3-4 days to increase my white blood cells.  These cells contain the cells used in marrow transplantation called hematopoetic cells. These will be the cells collected on the 4th day.  I will have to have a port put in and they will extract the cells via a machine, similar to a kidney dialysis unit if you have ever been on that - it will take 4-5 hours.  I will be admitted to the hospital for 2 nights where they will give chemo to wipe out all bone marrow, the next day the cells will be transplanted back into me and I should be able to go home for the two week growth period.  You actually have a choice of staying in the hospital (where there are so many unknown germs) or going home and just going in each day to have blood work.  After my month last October in the ICU I am choosing to go home. I will update once the procedure is underway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment