Thursday, November 11, 2010

Good Results

I did the bone marrow biopsy last week, this is almost the worst part of the whole procedure! They still have not found a way to do this that is easy.  They do numb you with medicine almost like at the dentist and then insert a needle into your back/spine down into the bone to obtain a sample of bone marrow.  The procedure only takes about 3-4 minutes but it seems like an hour as you can feel quite a bit of what they are doing.  After a week I returned to the doctor for results which was yesterday and they said they found NO cancer cells in my marrow, so the procedure was a success!  Options now are to have another transplant within 6 months or to go onto the maintenance program.  I am opting not to have another transplant but to go on the maintenance drugs at this point.  I just don't want to go thru all this again and the the percentages for this being the most effective are not that great so I will hope they find some new drugs in the future to keep this disease at bay.  Overall I am doing well, having some pain from the arthritis this disease has caused me but prednisone is keeping it at bay. I hope this has been helpful for anyone facing this procedure with or without Multiple Myeloma and is considering this procedure.  I look forward to some better days and spending time with my family and friends....

No comments:

Post a Comment